Tools, Tips and Workshops
Take Stock of Your Skills and Learn Some New Ones
The study habits that helped get you here are not necessarily the ones that will help sustain you, and identifying the additional skills you need is not always an intuitive process.
The Academic Skills Inventory is intended to provide new techniques and approaches to try, as well as offer encouragement and reinforcement for the strategies you are already using. After you select which topics you want to explore, the inventory generates comments that are tailored to your responses. It takes about 5-15 minutes to complete.
Study Tips & Tools
Reaching your academic potential can be challenging, but learning effective habits can make a significant difference. Use these resources to help yourself achieve all you can.
- Feeling Overwhelmed? (Video)
- Autumn Quarter at a Glance, 2019-20 (PDF)
- Weekly Schedule (PDF)
- Managing a 10-Week Quarter (PDF)
- Procrastination: What's Really Going On (PDF)
- Note Taking (various methods) (PDF)
- Taking Lecture Notes (PDF)
- Notes Template - General (PDF)
- Notes Template - STEM (PDF)
- The Cornell Method of Taking Notes (PDF)
- Cornell Note-Taking Paper (link to website)
- Week Prior Test Prep (PDF)
- Preparing for Exams (PDF)
- Science and Engineering Taking the Test (PDF)
- Multiple Choice Questions (PDF)
- Managing Test-Anxiety (PDF)
- All Advice (from Academic Skills Inventory) (PDF)
- Top 10 Study Skills (PDF)
- Setting Long-Term Goals (Excel Worksheet)
Read Our Blog
Read more at our blog, The Duck Stops Here—a collection of articles by Stanford students on how they have developed specific skills and strategies to succeed and deal with setbacks.
Request a Workshop
Set up a Learning Skills Workshop in your dorm or with your student group. Academic coaches are available to discuss learning skills topics for your dorm or student group. To request a workshop, please contact Tim Randazzo.
- Learning Strategies Overview
- Time Management
- Reading Strategies: How to Get Through All Your Assignments and Remember What You've Read
- Procrastination: Untangling the Knot
- Thanksgiving Break & Academics: Making the Most of Your Week Off
- "Plays Well With Others": Working Effectively on Group Projects
- Writing to Completion